Friday, November 18, 2011

Letting Go

You know, it takes the death of young people for us to really appreciate how fragile life is and how fast it can just fall through your hands.

We, as human beings, don't like to think about our mortality. We are death-denying (as we would say in my psychology classes) so we will try to do anything to make ourselves look less like we are aging. We are looking for the next miracle cream, the next procedure to make us look 10 years younger because we don't want to deal with the fact that we, in essence, are dying.

I know, it seems rather morbid to think about it, but ever since the moment you were born, you are living to die. A lot of people don't think about this very fact, and when they get to middle age, they have what is called a midlife crisis where they try to find their childhood. All because they don't want to believe that they are getting older.

I hate to break it to you folks, there is nothing you can do to stop yourself from getting older. NOTHING. You can enjoy the life that you have though while you are here. I am 21 years old, but I understand that there is nothing I can do to stop myself from getting older. I also understand that there is nothing I can do from stopping death from knocking when it's supposed to happen.

In the area of my hometown over the past few days, there have been several deaths of some very young people. A 20 year old woman was murdered. A 16 year old and an 18 year old were killed in a car accident. It has been a tragic time for those families. It's these moments where people think of how fragile life is. Everyday we toe the line between life and death. When we lie in our beds at night, we can thank our lucky stars that a car accident, or a stranger didn't take us. But if we thought that every person was out to get us, we'd never get anywhere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't deny the fact you are going to die. Someday you have to accept the fact that your life here on Earth will come to end. I accepted this fact at a young age. No, I'm not saying, "death, come at me," but I am saying, "that if tomorrow I wasn't here anymore, I'll be okay with that." I leave nothing hanging for tomorrow. When something comes up within my means, I do it. I spend time with friends, I smile a lot, and I don't let anything hold me back.

I live.

And I wouldn't want it any other way. Sometimes when you let go of those chains holding you back, your life makes all new twists and turns and you achieve things you never imagined in your wildest dreams. But it's the first step that's always the hardest. That step across a line of unknown.

But it's so worth it.


In other news:



I got my very own bottle of Felix Felicis from one of my swap partners!
Yup, this girl has some liquid luck!

  • Monday I made my first official turkey by myself, the way my mom always did and it was AMAZING! Yes, I did get my hand stuck in it when it was still frozen, but those things happen and I can laugh about it later.
  • Wednesday I had my band concert and it went really well. A couple of my lovely aunties came and it was nice seeing them (as always!)
  • Tonight I am going to a Harry Potter party because my friends rock. I can't wait for from HP drinking games and some butterbeer!

Songs For Today: 
1. Pumped Up Kicks- Foster the People
2. Night Rider's Lament- Garth Brooks
3. Clocks- Coldplay
4. Fame < Infamy- Fall Out Boy
5. Major Minus- Coldplay
6. Christmas Lights- Coldplay
7. Syndicate- The Fray
8. October- Evanescence
9. Locomotive Breath- Jethro Tull

No comments:

Post a Comment