Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hairitude!

So yesterday, I realized that it was a year since the moment I shaved my head in honor of all the beautiful women who go through cancer treatment every year. Last January, I decided that if I reached my goal for Relay For Life, I would shave it all off. So on March 30, 2011, I received the last donation that set me over my goal. First thing I did was make a call to the salon down the road from Riverfront. That afternoon after classes, I shaved it all off. In a $20 haircut (totally more than I expected) I cut off over 8 inches of hair.


March 30, 2011: Right after I cut it all off.
I was really curious with how it would grow in over the year. I said I was going to do a comparison picture a year later. But over the year, it was interesting seeing it all grow in slowly. Yes, it had it's awkward stages, but for the most part, it was interesting embracing the changing lengths.

In our society, women are known for their long hair. So when one loses her hair, she feels like less of a woman. Having to deal with these self esteem issues while also dealing with issues from serious diseases can cause insurmountable amount of pain. There are some women who embrace the hair loss beautifully and will go without anything on their heads, or wear head scarves. Many women will buy wigs. There is no shame in wearing a wig, it allows you to not be viewed as much as someone dealing with a disease. Any woman who goes through the fight of her life, no matter if she passes or not, is a hero in my eyes.

I shaved my head for these women. The fighters. The ones who go everyday with trying to keep their lives together while dealing with serious illnesses. And I would do it again. Every year actually, if it would help one woman feel better about herself!

Taken on April 6, 2011.

May 28th, 2011
May 15th, 2011




June 25th, 2011


June 7th, 2011





































July 14th, 2011
July 20th, 2011
August 9th, 2011

August 18th, 2011






































September 15th, 2011
October 3rd, 2011
November 1st, 2011
November 11th, 2011
December 16th, 2011
February 19th, 2012

March 17th, 2012


All we can say is that it's been an interesting year!







No comments:

Post a Comment